Learning from the leadership weekend

Euan Dowers
Saturday 23 May 2015

The Library – where I will spend the majority of the next 10 weeks

It’s been just over a week since my last exam, and it’s just over a week till my internship begins, and I have been trying to use the time between the two productively. I completed the online workshop on research ethics, and gained a deeper appreciation of the ethical questions that research can pose. I am lucky in that my project will not involve any human subjects, but it was useful and interesting to learn the safeguards and conventions that are in place to protect the people who contribute to research, both as researchers and subjects. I plan to complete the online module in Research Methods over the next week, and prepare for the start of the internship so that I will be able to hit the ground running, and I am starting to get excited for when my internship really begins.

When, immediately after the first leadership weekend, I started to study for my exams, I found myself using some of the productivity techniques learned over the weekend to make the most of the short period before my first exam. One of the most useful things I learned was how to self-evaluate and ensure that I was using my time efficiently and productively. The leadership weekend helped me to realise that I can criticise my own actions and evaluate them to ensure that there was nothing I could reasonably do to make my revision more productive. Indeed, the simple act of analysing my revision gave a massive boost to my confidence as I really felt that I could learn everything I wanted to the level I wanted because I had made plans and had the motivation to stick to them.

One of the most valuable things I gained from the leadership weekend was an appreciation that there are many different styles of leadership, and each individual leader can tailor their approach in order to get the most out of their colleagues, and it isn’t always the one who shouts the loudest who would be the best leader in a given situation. I think this has given me a lot of self-confidence about my own leadership abilities, and I am looking forward very much to my next opportunity to practise these skills.